Saturday, February 28, 2015

Recovery X2 (Part 1)

I haven’t written in a while because, well, I have been recovering x2. One of these recoveries was planned, and the other was not. What I have learned about myself is I can’t really write during recovery; I just need to focus on getting better. As I look around my condo full of flowers from my amazing friends and family, I am so appreciative of their generosity, but I just can’t wait for the glum recovery phase to be over.

***

About two weeks ago, I went in for an appointment at Dana Farber. The appointment was to get labs done and then my Zometa infusion – the medicine for the bone loss the Lupron and Letrozole have caused. I had a really tough time making the decision about going on the bone drugs or not, but finally came to the conclusion that my life is more important than an unborn child right now. (My main reservation about taking the medicine is that the doctors don’t know how it affects children. I likely can’t have them but always hold onto a tiny bit of hope.)

After waiting an hour for labs to come back and meeting with a woman who coordinates the Young Adult Cancer Program at Dana Farber – cause I need to get more involved ha – I was back up on the sixth floor for my Zometa infusion. Most people take a pill form of these bone drugs but because of my acid reflux they said they would give me this one-time infusion. Great! My nurse Kerry (WHO I LOVE) comes in and we chat it up about boys, her new Anna Beck jewelry from the boyfriend, and shoes, of course. She puts in my IV and sets up the 30-minute infusion. The doctors told me that the only potential side affects were MILD flu like symptoms for the first 48 hours and I really shouldn’t worry about it. So I get my meds, pack it up and head into work.

Later that night I was living the typical single life, picking up dinner at Whole Foods. I started having this weird chest pain, but just ignored it and thought it would go away. I get home and can’t even finish my dinner. The pain was pressing so hard on the front and back of my chest that I would grunt when I tried to breathe in and out. Then came the chills…I just couldn’t warm up. I put on that new Nicholas Sparks movie, The Best of Me and just tried to get into bed. It would just go away, right? I don’t need this right now. I called my parents because I started to panic and well then, they did too. After about an hour of chest pain and my mom calling me every five minutes I started hysterically crying because I realized I needed to go to the ER. Fuck. That moment when you realize you have to go to the hospital? It just sucks. My parents and I suddenly shifted into panic mode and were trying to quickly figure out who could take me to the ER. I didn’t want to go in an ambulance. I texted my wonderful neighbor downstairs and he immediately came up. I was already dressed with my winter hat on, hysterically crying, gasping for air, and snot all over my face.

My neighbor got me right in his car and drove me to Brigham and Women’s Hospital. While trying to breathe, I was sending my parents phone numbers for my doctors and friends so they could come be with me.

We pulled into the ER and my neighbor asked if I was okay to walk in. I said, “yes, yes.” The minute my feet hit the pavement, everything started to go fuzzy and dark and I got hellishly dizzy. Then, noodles. My legs were noodles. Luckily I was able to grab onto one of those large silver poles where you pull up to the ER, so I didn’t go down. I started screaming my neighbor’s name and full on panicking, hanging from the pole. My neighbor jumped out of his car and came to help me, while some guy slowly walked up behind me with a wheelchair and casually asked if I needed it. Yes I fucking need a wheelchair; I just collapsed IN FRONT OF AN EMERGENCY ROOM. AREN’T YOU SUPPOSED TO HELP ME?

They wheel me in and some miserable woman asks for my blue medical card, with NO urgency. Meanwhile, I was shaking, crying, gasping, and all of the above. I rifle through my purse and yank out the card, mumbling under my breath, “of course ‘cause this is fucking America.” Yeap – I was upset. Then they ask me if I have been to Africa and finally bring me into a room to get vitals. This nurse with a bad dye job and a scrunchy, yes a scrunchy, asks me about every medicine I am on which takes forever to go through. I try to tell her that I have Sarcoma and think I am having a reaction to a medicine. Bruce – the medical assistant is in there too with a smug look on his face, chomping on his gum, and not even cracking one leak of compassion. I even tried to joke with him about my bear named Bruce – but nothing. After that I got to spend even more time with Dick, I mean Bruce, as he hooked me up to an EKG. It is highly uncomfortable having an asshole man you don’t feel comfortable put monitors on your boob. When he was finished I said, “do I need to keep the leads on?” He says, “Those aren’t leads, don’t believe everything you see on TV. And yes, keep them.”

After the EKG, I thought they would bring me right back. I mean I was having extreme chest pain and trouble breathing! Right back is not where I went, I went to the waiting room for TWO HOURS. The ER is probably one of the worst places on earth.

Shortly after my EKG my BFF Jennie came to relieve my neighbor. Did I mention the ER is the worst place ever? Everything takes FOREVER. After finally going back and getting a bed, they put in an IV and took labs. Two hours to get those back. Then they wanted to do a chest CT – oh and had to put in a different IV because the first one was in the wrong place, excellent communication ER staff. Two hours for the CT results. They were pretty sure I was having a rare reaction to the Zometa but had to rule out a blood clot or PE. Oh, and when I say rare reaction to Zometa I mean my expert doctor had to look up case studies for this reaction. SERIOUSLY, BECKY? YOU ARE HELLA SPECIAL! Six a.m. rolls around and THE amazing Jennie is still with me. The doctor comes in and says they saw a spot on the chest CT that could be something or “just an artifact,” and they want to do another type of chest scan and a leg ultrasound to be sure. At this point I had to let out a little cry because I just wanted to go home and wanted my parents who couldn’t get to me because there was a BLIZZARD that was about to start.

Another two hours later and they transferred me to observation, which is between the ER and getting admitted. At this point the fever started and Jennie and I were eating sub-par breakfast sandwiches from the hospital cafeteria. At around 10 a.m. Jennie was relieved and Ryan and Amanda came to take the day shift. (I don’t know what I would do without my amazing friends). Amanda took over secretary duty from Jennie and talked to my mom and doctors as I was in and out of sleep. Each time I woke up “transport” was there to wheel me (on my stretcher) to the next test. Finally after everything came back negative they determined with certainty I had a terrible reaction to the Zometa. My endocrinologist felt terrible and was baffled by the reaction I had.

By 5 p.m. on Saturday (I went into the ER 11 p.m. Friday) Amanda and Ryan had me back at my condo to rest. It was recovery time. Tylenol every four hours for the fever, fluids, and lots of sleep and TV for three days…


And here I am two weeks later on the couch recovering again…to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment